Easy Baked Broccoli Tots
Amy Goodson, MS, RD, CSSD, LD
Looking for a healthy side swap? Try this nutrient-rich version of childhood favorite tater tots for a guilt free side dish of broccoli tots! Once you have one, you won’t be able to stop! Make at home, take them for the road!
- 2 medium heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup small diced onion
- 1/4 cup finely ground breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Ketchup, for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli florets to the water and cook them just until fork tender, about 5 minutes. Thoroughly drain the florets and transfer them to a food processor. Pulse the broccoli for a few seconds just until it breaks down into small pieces. (Do not overmix the broccoli or the mixture will be too wet to form into tots.)
- Measure out 3 packed cups of the broccoli and add it to a large bowl. Add the diced onion, breadcrumbs, egg and Parmesan cheese and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Using your hands, portion out about 2 tablespoons of the mixture and mold it into a tater tot shape. Arrange the tots on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 1 inch apart.
- Bake the tots for about 20 minutes then flip them once and bake them an additional 10 to 15 minutes until crisp. Remove the tots from the oven and serve them with ketchup, Ranch dressing or hummus for dipping.
- The onion should to be cut small enough so that it’s not too chunky and can be easily mixed into the broccoli mixture.
- The cheese can be omitted in order to make this recipe dairy-free.
- The breadcrumbs can be swapped for finely crushed gluten-free pretzels, cereal or dried bread in order to make this recipe gluten-free.
Recipe developed by Kelly Senyei of https://www.justataste.com/easy-baked-broccoli-tots-recipe/
Nutrition Facts (Makes 6 servings – Nutrition facts for 1 serving)
Calories: 60 Fat: 2 gm, Protein: 4 gm, Carbohydrates: 8 gm, Fiber: 1 gm
With 12,000+ members, Truckers Service Association (TSA) knows what truckers need. Founded in 1995, TSA is a non-profit association dedicated to improving the profitability of owner operators and Motor Carriers. Insurance marketing provided by TrueNorth Companies.
TSA Insurance Customer Service Center:
500 1st St SE Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
Truckers Service Association:
PO Box 92777 Southlake, Texas 76092